Media Relations Manager
Our established client is seeking a full-time, Media Relations Manager, on a permanent basis. The successful candidate will be responsible for helping to develop and implement the company’s media relations strategy. This involves delivering a wide-ranging programme of media relations activities to enhance the organisations reputation and distinctiveness.
The successful Media Relations Manager will also proactively source news stories from across the company, writing compelling press releases and pitching to secure media interest locally, nationally, and internationally. As well as support media relations initiatives and work with other teams to develop content and align activity. A confident communicator, they will field and respond to media enquiries and manage a varied workload as part of a busy press office team. They will also be a key member of the incident management/crisis communication team.
- Devising and implementing activities to generate positive coverage for research, projects and initiatives in sector, national and international broadcast, online and print media.
- Work with key spokespeople/experts to promote their research, expertise and thought leadership across a wide range of media.
- Respond to incoming filming and media enquiries, prioritising those most urgent and crucial to the organisation.
- Work with the Director, CEA, and Head of Media Relations to keep our incident management/crisis communication responses/handbooks up-to-date and relevant. When issues/crises occur, the role holder will ensure that potentially damaging news/stories are handled in a sensitive and appropriate manner.
- Propose innovative ideas, themes and plans for media relations campaigns and activities.
- Support the development and execution of the media relations strategy, generating ideas and measuring progress against objectives.
- Report on and evaluate the impact of media relations activities.
- Keep abreast of trends and innovations in media relations and public relations, market trends, competitors and benchmarking best practice.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrable experience of building excellent working relationships at the most senior level of an organisation, giving expert advice to leaders as required.
- Successful at building productive relationships with the media.
- Track record of delivery in the media relations area from developing to implementing strategy.
- Experience of and sensitivity to the constraints of working in a confidential environment.
- Some experience in handling crisis communications situations and working alongside internal teams on appropriate responses
- In-depth knowledge of communications planning, content, and channels.
- First-class news judgement and an ability to identify key messages and story angles.
- Creative and imaginative, with the ability to be resourceful in taking forward new Ideas.
- Ability to work well under pressure and to observe strict deadlines.
- Ability to negotiate, persuade and influence people at every level.
- Ability to think strategically in planning communications/media relations activities and contributing to wider CEA plan.
- Outstanding writing skills, with the ability to deliver high-quality written communications.
- Competent in using IT platforms including Microsoft suite, journalist databases and distribution software.